Maria Callas Sings Puccini

,



I am far from an opera buff, but I know enough to know that my tastes in opera are hopelessly vulgar. I love Puccini. I love Maria Callas.

Puccini -- with his overly dramatic plots and gorgeous but saccharine melodies. Maria Callas -- with her sometimes harsh technique (which to some opera buffs is the epitome of ingratiating) but incredible feeling and passion.

She sings the way I love literature to be: beautiful sometimes, ugly sometimes, but everything is for the art, everything is approached passionately, as if one was willing to die for it. I get chills listening to her.

On my sister's hard drive is my entire collection of Maria Callas -- a staggeringly huge thing that I would love to cherry pick from to show you my love for Maria. But since I don't have it near me, YouTube will have to do.

From Madame Butterfly:




From La Boheme:



0 Responses on "Maria Callas Sings Puccini"

Post a Comment